BST in General Internal Medicine is broader and more general in nature, offering you the chance to experience lots of different subspecialties. It provides an excellent foundation for further training in 23 specialties and is a great choice if you want to keep your options open.
Completion of BST in General Internal Medicine is an essential entry requirement for Higher Specialist Training in:
- Clinical Pharmacology and Therapeutics
- Clinical Genetics
- Endocrinology and Diabetes Mellitus
- Genitourinary Medicine
- Geriatric Medicine
- Infectious Diseases
- Medical Oncology
- Palliative Medicine
- Rehabilitation Medicine
- Respiratory Medicine
Completion of BST in General Internal Medicine will also help you meet the entry requirements for Higher Specialist Training in:
- Chemical Pathology
- Clinical Microbiology
- Occupational Medicine
- Public Health Medicine
It will also provide valuable experience in acute medicine for those who want to undertake training in General Practice.
Basic Specialist Training (BST)
- You must have completed your internship by the start date of the programme
- You must be currently or previously registered on one of the divisions of the Irish Medical Council, or provide proof of eligibility for registration
- You must have proof of competency in the English language in line with HSE specifications
Please refer the link for addition information.